Friday, October 2, 2009

College Student in G's Pace Class Shares Segregated Prom Link

ALL students are welcome to forward links and resources they think most relevant to our course work.

Whitney has passed along this link and I want to share her note about it, too:

After our discussion in class last night, I thought it would be appropriate to send you a link about a story that you may or may not have read. It was a story that came out in the NY Times earlier this year about segregated proms in Montgomery County, GA. I did not live in Montgomery County, and the segregated prom in my area stopped almost 10 years ago, but this story, from May of this year, shows that it is still going on in some parts with the only explanation being "tradition". I wanted to pass this along because I heard alot of people in class respond with shock and disbelief that segregation still exists, so I thought this would be something to supplement our discussion about the way that the issues from the past we have read about are still relevant today.

Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24prom-t.html?_r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment